Home HEALTH Parasites danger for Sushi lovers

Parasites danger for Sushi lovers

147
0
SHARE

Sushi lovers are being warned of the dangers of ingesting parasites after a study revealed on Friday.
Doctors have warned, that the growing popularity of eating sushi could be beyond the rising of parasitic infections.

British Medical Journal Case Reports said that sushi’s Japanese dish, growing popularity in the West could be the reason for a rise in parasitic infections and diseases.The study on Sushi comes after doctors treated a 32-year-old man in Portugal who was found to have larvae from a parasite attached to his gut lining.

Man in Portugal had been suffering stomach pain, vomiting, and fever for a week.The area below his ribs was found to be sore and his blood test showed mild inflammation.

Infected man was a Sushi’s lover. Doctors suspected that he might have Anisakiasis. But they only finds when the man told them that he recently ate Sushi.

Anisakiasis is a parasitic disease mostly caused by anisakid nematodes (worms) that occupy the stomach wall or intestine of humans. It happens when infected larvae are inhaled from undercooked or raw fish or squid.Doctors do the endoscopy on the man, by pressing a long tube with a camera into the stomach.

Central Lisbon hospital’s team said that the patient’s symptoms resolved immediately as larvae are removed with a special kind of net.

Sushi lovers are infecting numerously in Japan but their numbers are also increasing in Western Countries.

Doctors advise to remove the guts of the fish before cooking Sushi and freeze the uncooked fish at least four days. Also before eating Sushi cook the fish thoroughly.